Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Music for the soul...


One of my favorite things is to hear the sound of my children's little singing voices...drifting from their bedrooms.


Things like "glowious an' mighty, yor awsum in buty" and "gwace upon gwace flows down, flows down..." (Levi) or "...that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost, but now am found..." and "let your kingdom come, let your will be done, so that everyone might know your name." (Ella).


They both have such a vast repertoire of music in their little minds. Ella knows many more than her brother and has an incredible knack for retaining ALL the words and the tune. She sings when she is resting, she sings when she is playing and she makes up songs to talk to me.


Her soul is full of music.

And it is good music.

Sound, solid, Christ-centered stuff that is filling her mind and heart.


I was encouraged by a recent post on Girltalk that was helping mothers of young children find ways to preach the gospel to themselves throughout their busy days. The whole series was good...actually excellent. Their final point was "listen to gospel-centered music". (They linked directly to Sovereign Grace Music...which is a personal favorite of our household as well.)


I don't have music on all day. I relish quiet moments that are fleeting. :o)


But when I do listen to something (which means my kids are too), I want to be sure that it is going to uplift my soul and keep my mind in the right place. I don't want mindless "easy-listening", "soft-rock favorites" that leave me empty, without any hope.


I want something with words and melodies that enhance my relationship with the Lord and instill attitudes and actions of peace, joy and praise in my children.


Sounds like alot to ask from a song, doesn't it?


The song is not what saves, but it is a part of the list of good things I want "taking up space" in my children's (and my) brain.


Instead of "the wheels on the bus", we are singing "Fairest Lord Jesus"...instead of "the farmer in the dell", it's "Holy, Holy, Holy".


I love it.


And it is just one of many ways to feed my soul and more importantly...

the souls of my children.


So if you are a busy person :o)...then I would encourage you to use the gift of music God gave us as a tool to feed your soul and stimulate your mind. You can use it while you're washing dishes, playing with children or running errands. The possibilities are endless and the rewards can be great.


I wish you could hear my daughter in her bed even now..."then sings my soul, my Savior, God to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art..."


That precious little voice...high and squeaky...


and beautiful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't is wonderful to listen to the voices of our babes singing for God. There is NOTHING that brings a tear to my eyes faster than to hear them singing and worshiping. Now that is music to the ears. Just wait till they learn to read and you watch them reading the hymnal or the screen all by themselves in church. A true moment in a parents life where everything stands still and you just listen! Keep bloggin, love it!