Monday, April 12, 2010

Tools to fight...

This morning, the kids and I began memorizing scripture again. I am afraid we had to take a serious hiatus while I was on bedrest & in the hospital. I missed it and so did they! They were very excited as I wrote out the verse this morning with bright markers (a favorite thing of mine, remember?) and put the paper up on the fridge.
There are obviously so many verses in the Bible to chose from. Where to start? I decided to use the Fighter Verse Program.  It is a list of scripture selections designed for weekly memorization.  (There's even a website/blog specifically about the Fighter verse for the week and some deeper thoughts.)  I believe they were originally from Bethlehem Baptist Church and Pastor John Piper. There are 5 different "sets" of verses, all chosen specifically to encourage the believer to fight for faith, hence their name "Fighter Verses". 

We started with Set "A" and I just jumped in on the first one, Deuteronomy 7:9. 
We said it 5 times and the kids repeated it after me. Then I would say it and leave a blank for them to fill in.  Childrens' minds are incredible.  They were both rushing ahead of me after only the 3rd time through.  Ella said "Mom, let's do another one!".  So I gave in and wrote out another one. :o) 

So, the McPherson children are working on these 2 verses this week.  With our goal of learning them both before daddy returns from T4G late Thursday night.  (Remember how much I like goals!) We'll see how it goes and I'll let you know.

In the meantime, how's your scripture memory bank? Full? Probably not, if you are anything like me.  As I heard once from a wise and experienced woman (who had memorized almost half of the Bible), "You just have to start".  Even if it's just a short verse.  Just start somewhere!  Blessings as you fill your mind with tools for the fight!

2 comments:

Joce said...

Sharon I LOVE IT! What a neat idea! I think we'll do it too. Thank you!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the link to the fighter verses. I can't wait to start!