Friday, February 12, 2010

Reasons for Hope: Number Three

Back to my "Reasons to Hope" series...prompted by the story I shared about the woman in the room next to mine(Each of these reasons coming from some reading or studying I have done as of late...which will soon have to take a temporary backseat to the new little lady on the way!)


Number three:  singing hymns and spiritual songs to the Lord is a way for the soul to pray when it has no words of it's own.  Hymns can be powerful pieces of theology that can be sung in times of trial, to "preach" to ourselves about the nature of God.
This is an old favorite of mine:
"Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine."
 One thing I have missed tremendously while being here at the hospital is singing.  I have missed worshiping with others at church, singing with my children at home and just humming a hymn as I go through the day.  Singing here is a little hard, but when I clicked on the website to find the lyrics for this hymn...I couldn't help but sing along.  

The powerful words and strong theology were enough to lift my spirits and encourage my heart.  Just another reason to hope. 

    1 comment:

    Kristen Kill said...

    Sharon,
    I know we may have met once or twice (probably a long time ago?) but I stumbled across your blog and wanted to drop and note and tell you *how* encouraged I am by your words and heart. What a beautiful journey you are sharing. Thank you for your transparency and wisdom. I am so thankful to get to read what you have to say.
    Praying for your little one and for you and your family!
    Kristen Kill