Sunday, January 24, 2010

34 weeks tomorrow...

Tomorrow, Monday January 25th, will mark the 34 week mark for this little girl.  Making it to this milestone with her still inside is a wonderful blessing.

"34 weekers" as they're called, typically have good enough lung development to survive outside the womb without help (ventilators, oxygen, etc...).  They also have a greater chance of being "big enough" to survive outside the womb without extensive help (NICU's, machines, fluids, etc...which would equal=transfer to Seattle.) They're biggest challenge is their eating ability.  They usually do not have fully formed muscles in their little jaws & mouths that are capable of nursing effectively.  So they usually stay in the hospital for 2-3 weeks needing tube feedings.

This is not what we would prefer...so she needs to stay in there until she is 37 weeks.  This would be ideal.  Her lungs would be further developed, her oral muscles should be ready to eat on her own and she would be a healthy size, ready for life on the outside!

Tomorrow I will be talking with my OB about the next phase, the plan, the timeline.  I hope to find out if we will continue this course of me staying here at the hospital until she comes.  If this is the case, then let the countdown begin.  3 weeks to go. 

But I will not get ahead of myself...I will post more after talking with our doctor tomorrow.  In the meantime, we are thankful she is still inside...growing, kicking, and content to stay there!


"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you, for I am fearfully & wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.  
My frame was not hidden from yoi, when I was being made in secret, inticately woven in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them,  thedays that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them.  How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!  How vast is the sum of them!  If I would count them, they are more than the sand..."  
Psalm 139:13-18

1 comment:

Tarah McPherson said...

Look forward to hearing how the checkup went today! Love ya